We are now publishing honest reviews by students about language learning novels that they have read and love. Any of the novels published for language learners are appropriate, as long as the student truly enjoyed reading the novel. We ask that students submit their reviews to their teachers, who will then submit the reviews to our website after having verified that the reviews follow these guidelines:
(1) Reviews can be short, 50-100 words, in either English or the target language. We ask that students please be specific in their praise: who was their favorite character, what was their favorite scene, perhaps a phrase like “If you like _____, then you’ll love this book”. Please avoid major plot spoilers.
(2) Please include a photo of the student holding the book that they are reviewing. Include their first name if you would like that published, but it is not necessary.
(3) This is a moderated space for students to brag about their favorite reads. If you do not like a book, please do not submit a review. The purpose of the reviews is to help other students find books that they might enjoy.
(4) We do have the ability to upload student book talks on video. Use an iphone or camera app on a computer to take a short video, then send it to me at the address below. Please be sure that there is nothing in the background that directly identifies the school.
(5) Teachers: you must receive permission from the student’s legal guardian before submitting the review. While the student will only be identified on the website by first name, a legal guardian must give explicit permission to post the student’s photo and review. At no point should the student be identified, so it is the teacher’s responsibility to secure and retain the permission.
(6) Teachers: I hope to get reviews that honestly communicate students’ enthusiasm for particular books, nothing fake. Therefore, please do not assign reviews or provide extra credit for the review. Participation must be voluntary and sincere.
(7) We will also accept reviews from adults. If you are a teacher with enthusiasm for a particular language learning novel, feel free to write a review.
(8) Authors: We also welcome video book trailers. Please clearly indicate that you are the author.
As we transition the front page of this website to student reviews, the left margin will be replaced with a list of all books reviewed. All of the reviews of each book will be connected by a link in the margin, so eventually if you want to preview a certain book with your class, all you have to do is click on the title and several reviews from real students will pop up.
Please send reviews to the following email address and include the phrase “CI READING” in the subject line: